Blog 64 - Friendship, Expectations, and the Ironies of Life
I have come to realize that life is full of ironies.
Sometimes, those ironies lead us down paths we never expected to take, bringing
us face-to-face with truths about ourselves and the people we care about. I
spent several days reflecting on why certain things happened and why some
experiences affected me so deeply. Some people may not understand why I was so
profoundly affected by what happened, but perhaps they simply cannot see the
story from where I stand.
Allow me to begin my story.
Friendship can mean different things to different people. To
me, friendship is a give-and-take relationship—not necessarily because both
people must give equally or always be on the same level, but because there
should be a genuine sense of mutual care, understanding, and reciprocity. When I give a gift to a friend, for instance,
I don't expect that person to return the favor by giving me something of equal
value or in the same form. Nor do I expect every act of kindness to be
immediately reciprocated. Sometimes, we give simply because we want to give.
Sometimes, we give without keeping score.
After all, true generosity is not about keeping a running tally of who
gave what to whom.
But to me, friendship still carries certain expectations—not
expectations of material things, but of love, care, understanding, loyalty, and
support. I believe that when we call someone a friend, there is an unspoken
bond that says, “I will be there for you, and you will be there for me.”
And therein lies the rub.
That expectation became the crux of the conflict.
A friend told me that there should be no expectations
whatsoever in friendship. At first, I was quick to push back against that
argument. I couldn't agree with the idea that friendship should exist
without any expectations at all. After all, if friendship means caring for one
another, isn't a degree of expectation
inevitable?
Perhaps the real question is not whether we should have
expectations in friendship, but what kind of expectations are reasonable—and
when those expectations begin to cross the line.
That was where I began to question my own understanding of
friendship.
The same incident affected me deeply, particularly because my
emotions got the better of me. When my argument was dismissed outright, I
confess that I lost my composure. In a moment of frustration, I pounded the
handle of the salad server against the glass plate—not because I was angry, but
because I felt overwhelmed, frustrated, and unable to express myself properly.
At the time, I thought I could keep my emotions in check, but
I was mistaken. My emotions got the upper hand, and I reacted in a way I later
regretted.
That experience led me to an uncomfortable realization: I may
always be an emotional person, but I must learn to manage my emotions wisely,
lest they run amok.
Being emotional is not necessarily a weakness. It can mean
that we care deeply, feel intensely, and become deeply invested in the people
and relationships that matter to us. But emotions, like fire, must be handled
with care. If left unchecked, they can spiral out of control and cause us to
say or do things that we do not truly mean.
I believe I apologized for what happened. Even so, the
incident stayed with me because it forced me to confront a part of myself that
I would rather not have seen.
Perhaps that is one of life's uncomfortable lessons:
sometimes, we discover our weaknesses not when everything is going well, but
when we are pushed to the limit.
Still, when it comes to the meaning of friendship, I believe
there is some truth in both arguments.
Friendship is indeed a give-and-take relationship, but that
does not mean we should expect everything to be returned in exactly the same
way. We may give more at certain times and receive more at others. There may be
seasons when one friend needs more support, while at another time, the roles
may be reversed. What matters is not
keeping a strict tally, but maintaining a genuine sense of mutual care.
Friendship should not be a scorecard where every favor must be
repaid and every gesture must be matched. At the same time, I do not believe
friendship can survive without some measure of trust, consideration, and
emotional reciprocity. There must be a meeting of the minds about what the relationship
means to both people.
Perhaps I lost a friend because we were both strong-willed,
each holding firmly to our own understanding of what friendship should be.
Perhaps neither of us was willing to see eye to eye or take a step back long
enough to understand where the other person was coming from.
And perhaps that is the greatest irony of all: losing a friend
because of our different ideas about what friendship should be.
Sometimes, despite our best intentions, we reach an impasse—a
point at which neither person is willing or able to take the first step toward
reconciliation. Pride may get in the way. Hurt feelings may build a wall. And
before we know it, what began as a disagreement becomes a bridge too far.
Perhaps that is one of the saddest realities of human
relationships: good intentions do not always guarantee good outcomes.
We can love someone and still hurt them.
We can care deeply and still misunderstand each other.
We can believe we are doing the right thing and still get it wrong.
And sometimes, the best of intentions can pave the road to an
unintended ending.
That is the painful irony of friendship: the very expectations
that arise from caring about one another can sometimes become the reason we
drift apart.
Perhaps, in the end, friendship is not about having no
expectations at all, but about learning which expectations are fair, which ones
we need to let go of, and which ones are essential to preserving the bond.
Maybe friendship is also about knowing when to speak, when to
listen, when to stand our ground, and when to let bygones be bygones.
And perhaps the greatest lesson is this: we cannot always
control how a friendship ends, but we can control how we conduct ourselves
along the way.
Some friendships are meant to last a lifetime. Others come
into our lives for a season, leaving behind memories, lessons, and sometimes
even wounds.
Either way, they become part of our story.
And sometimes, life's greatest ironies are also its greatest
teachers.
Comments
Post a Comment